Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Forsaken Dreams by MaryLu Tyndall

Forsaken Dreams (Escape to Paradise, #1)

Description:

They left everything

behind to build a new

Southern Utopia...

***

Colonel Blake Wallace has seen enough death to last a lifetime. Weary and disillusioned, he slumps beneath the weight of defeat and loss. With his entire family murdered by the North and his name appearing on a list of officers wanted for war crimes, Blake organizes a shipload of southerners who, like him, long to escape the horrors of war and start a new life in a verdant land called Brazil.

Eliza Crawford can barely remember the days of her youth spent in opulence and comfort at her Georgian home. She can't help but wonder how different her life would be had she not met her late husband, Stanton Watts, a general in the Northern army. Now a war widow, Eliza is rejected by both North and South. Desperate to keep her marriage a secret and escape her past and pain, she hopes to start over again in Brazil.

But once the voyage begins, troubles abound. Dangers at sea and enemies from within threaten to keep Blake and Eliza from the new life-and love-they long for.

My Opinion:

This book had hooked from the very beginning! It was an amazing read and I enjoyed it very much!

I haven't read very many books where their is travel or a voyage through Oceans. I should really change that because I always seem to love them when I do. MaryLu Tyndall is known for her Inspirational Adventure Romance novels and it's not difficult for me to tell why. She is brilliant with the way she uses descriptions- from the way everything looks, feels, tastes, sounds, to smells. It's a wonder that she didn't live in these places herself.

I loved the way MaryLu started Blake's and Eliza's relationship and how it progressed through the book. Flawless!

The way that Blake reacted to everything was perfect in my opinion! Exactly the way I would probably react if I was in his shoes, but then he learned to forgive. Which is something I know I would have an issue with. However, he faced his obstacles bravely, even when he thought he wasn't and I learned forgiveness with him through the conversations he had with his fellow shipmates.

The only thing I had an issue with was the timeline in the beginning of the book. It was somewhat difficult to follow, and gave away something that happened in the middle of the story. I think putting something that should of been well into the story at the beginning was unnecessary to capture the readers. I would have still been hooked if it started naturally.

Rating: 4 Stars

2 comments:

  1. Books set on the ocean can be fun! I have not read this one, but I have read other Marylu Tyndall books. I like her "Charles Towne Belle" series.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look into that series now:) I hope you read this one, it was great!

      Delete