Tuesday, March 26, 2013

It Happened at the Fair by Deeanne Gist

It Happened at the Fair

Description:

A transporting historical novel about a promising young inventor, his struggle with loss, and the attractive teacher who changes his life, all set against the razzle-dazzle of the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair.


Gambling everything, including the family farm, Cullen McNamara travels to the 1893 Chicago World's Fair with his most recent invention. But the noise in the Fair’s Machinery Palace makes it impossible to communicate with potential buyers. In an act of desperation, he hires Della Wentworth, a teacher of the deaf, to tutor him in the art of lip-reading.

The young teacher is reluctant to participate, and Cullen has trouble keeping his mind on his lessons while intently watching her lips. Like the newly invented Ferris Wheel, he is caught in a whirl between his girl back home, his dreams as an inventor, and his unexpected attraction to his new tutor. Can he keep his feet on the ground, or will he be carried away?




My Opinion:

Deeanne Gist never disappoints! I just love her writing style and the cute romantic stories she comes up with. This was a fast and easy read for me, (considering I read the whole thing yesterday.) I just couldn't put the book down. Thank goodness I'm on spring break and I had all day to read it.

You can definitely tell that Deeanne did her research on this book. With the pictures that she provides from the actual fair do the vivid descriptions she gives everything including Cullens invention. You can also tell that she must of researched a lot about lip-reading. I love when authors put a lot of thought and research into their writing because then I also learn the things they did and in an entertaining way.

I love how the characters in this book are not perfect and have real life problems. Because of their problems and careers they both are put into very funny, romantic, but also serious situations. Deeanne Gist is also very good at teasing the reader; throughout the book she put Cullen and Della in many romantic settings and awkward circumstances. I was constantly yelling in my head, "Kiss her already!" but there was no way in telling when it was going to happen.

This book is one of many that has made me wish I was born in a different time period. There were so many things that I wish I could have seen or been a part of and this fair is now one of them.

Rating: 5 Stars

I hope my review helps you decide if this is a book you would like to add to your reading list. Here are more books by Deeanne gist, click on the name for a goodreads summary:


Here is a different cover for It Happened at the Fair that has pictures on it from the actual fair.
It Happened at the Fair


No comments:

Post a Comment