Friday, June 13, 2014

Fair Play by Deeanne Gist

Fair Play (It Happened at the Fair, #2)

Description:

 Saddled with a man’s name, the captivating Billy Jack Tate makes no apologies for pursuing a man’s profession. As a lady doctor at the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair, she is one step closer to having her very own medical practice--until she doctors an imposing man who threatens the fulfillment of her dream.

Hunter is one of the elite. A Texas Ranger and World’s Fair guard specifically chosen for his height, physique, character, and skill. Hailed as the toughest man west of any place east, he has no patience for big cities and women who aspire to walk in a man's shoes.

But the abandoned baby Hunter discovers at the Fair finds him teaming up with the good doctor to give the foundling a better future than the slums of Chicago, where the children play on flea-infested, garbage-strewn streets. AS Billy and Hunter fight for the foundling's welfare, their hearts warm to the precious child--and to each other. Soon their concern grows to encompass the Nineteenth Ward's burgeoning population of street children. In the interest of fair play, Billy and Hunter let nothing stand in their way as they labor to build a park for them, birthing Chicago's first playground and a national movement that will sweep the nation.

But the Fair is coming to an end, posing impossible decisions for Billy and the man who has won her heart. Will they become a footnote in the Fair's history books, or will what they discovered in Chicago be longer lasting than the World's Exhibition.


My Opinion:

Deeanne Gist is one of my favorite authors, I have not read many other authors books that could rival her stories! When Fair Play came out I could not wait to possibly win it in a giveaway, so I bought it online right away.  Afterwards, I found out that Deeanne Gist was switching to the general market. I couldn't decide whether that was a good thing or a bad thing. On one hand, it could help reach out to many people who would normally not read anything with inspirational qualities. On the other, I was and still am a little doubtful that Deeanne could slowly lose the inspirational qualities and replace them with more worldly aspects. I don't want to doubt her, but it has happened before with other writers.

Based on Fair Play I could not tell what to expect from Deeanne's future writings. Yes, both her main characters had great morals. Yes, they both fought for what they believed was right. Yes, they stayed virtuous until marriage. Altogether, it was a great story! However, their was not much mention of God. Their was mention of prayer, but their was no biblical life lesson from the story that I could tell. I did learn to compromise with a spouse or future spouse and to handle situations with dignity and tactfulness.

The romance was well done, but I do have a pet peeve that has to do with it that some authors put in their books. My pet peeve is that I cannot stand when the male character goes up to the heroine and just randomly states that he "wants to kiss her". Honestly, if I had a boyfriend and he just randomly said that to me out of the blue I would tell him no. In my opinion a kiss should just happen. So, if the guy wants to kiss his girlfriend or wife he should just do it. Why ask??? The only reason a guy should ever say that he "wants to kiss you" instead of just coming out and doing it is if the two of them are in a very public place surrounded by tons of people and she feels uncomfortable displaying affection like that.

Other that those things I listed I absolutely loved the book and it was the best one I have read in awhile! I cannot wait to read more of Dee's stuff. Do I have to wait almost a year for another book???

P.S. I hope her next male character inspiration is based on Henry Cavill. That would make my life!!!
 http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/44/ed/8c/44ed8ceddce19520792f67b85cbcdd9f.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment