Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A Woman of Fortune by Kellie Coates Gilbert

A Woman of Fortune (Texas Gold, #1)

Description:

 Texas socialite Claire Massey is living the dream. Her world is filled with designer clothes, luxury cars, and stunning homes. But her Neiman-Marcus lifestyle comes crashing down when her charming cattle broker husband is arrested for fraud. Suddenly, she finds herself facing attorneys, a media frenzy, and a trail of broken hearts. Betrayed and humiliated, Claire must start over against incredible odds to save her family–and discover a life worth living.
Poignant and emotionally gripping, A Woman of Fortune reveals the many ways we deceive ourselves and how resilience of the heart is essential to authentic living. Drawing on her experiences as a legal investigator, author Kellie Coates Gilbert delivers emotionally gripping plots and authentic characters. Readers will love Claire’s unbending determination as she strives to keep her family from falling apart and learns to embrace the kind of fortune that lasts.


My Opinion:

Not what I was expecting.

When I first saw this book I assumed I would like it based on the cover, so without reading the summery I requested it to review. Now that I have read it, if I could make the decision all over again I probably would not have picked to review it. Don't get me wrong, it was a good and well written story, but it was just not for me. 

I didn't know that this book was about a 49-year old married woman going through a traumatic life situation. Who could have guessed that based on the cover? I mean, does that look like an almost 5-year old woman? Just goes to show how looks can be deceiving. At my age right now I tend to be more into the books where the couples are just hooking up, not thirty years into their marriage. It doesn't pertain to me in any way, so it didn't interest me.

I could tell by the cover that the woman was either rich or knew someone who was rich, and since I was expecting that I was okay with it. However, I didn't realize how rich she was! Her and her family threw caution to the wind and spent millions upon millions of dollars all the time! How many people do we come across on a daily basis with that kind of money? The way that her husband made the money seemed like a very realistic way of making it then some weird occupations I have read about in the past, so I did like that. On the other hand, I guess I'm just not much into the rich and famous scene. At least not modern rich and famous.

Things that I did like were: 1) None of the characters were perfect. Example: The heroine's daughter has many problems that you will learn about if you read it. 2) I felt the heroine handled her situation very realistically for her status. 3) The authors knowledge for courtroom business seemed to be above and beyond. Their were many terms used that I hadn't even heard of. 4) The comic relief was not over the top and it was portrayed in the heroine's best high school friend. 5) The heroine persevered where many would have given up.

Overall, if you are an adult interested in reading about scandal, family healing, and perseverance then this is the book for you. 


Stars: 3 1/2

Here is an inside look with the author that you can find on youtube!!! :)
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4KfPyw-FwE&feature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment