Friday, June 5, 2015

Together With You by Victoria Bylin

Together with You

Description:

A Tender Contemporary Romance about Finding Unexpected Love 
When a Lost Child warning blasts over the mall's PA system, toy store manager Carly Mason finds the little girl playing with a stuffed rabbit. Something about five-year-old Penny Tremaine is different. An ex-social worker, Carly recognizes that Penny suffers fetal alcohol effects, and a piece of Carly's own past suddenly confronts her. Never again will Carly become involved with a client. The risks are far too great. But something about Penny--and Penny's handsome father--tugs at Carly's heart. Before she has time to think it through, she agrees to a much-needed job as a nanny. 
Dr. Ryan Tremaine knows he messed up his life. But this summer he will redeem himself. With his ex-wife remarried and on a trip far away, his two teenage sons and Penny are living under his roof full time. Ryan is dedicated to his sink-or-swim list, a plan to reconnect with his children. The first step: recruiting Carly Mason to be Penny's nanny. 
Ryan never anticipated being so drawn to Carly, an attraction Carly seems to fight as much as he does. Could Carly be the missing piece that helps his family stay afloat, or will their blossoming romance only complicate things further?


My Opinion: 


Getting through the beginning of this book took awhile. I feel like the author tried to shove to much information in our faces at once. The information about the FASD (Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Syndrome) and the reason behind Ryan's daughter Penny having it was thrust on us from the get go. I liked having the knowledge of these things, but wish it was prolonged throughout the first half of the story. It just made the beginning hard and ridged to get through because their was no excitement. 

The book really took off when Carly accepted the job to be Penny's nanny. After that it really became a story with obstacles and two completely different people working together to overcome them, and let me tell you, Penny's Aunt was probably the biggest obstacle. Lol

I really like how Carly accepted the way Ryan was and didn't shame him for his past wrongs dealing with Penny. She acknowledged the fact that someone can change and completely turn their life around. I know a lot of people try to treat people like they have changed, but don't fully believe or take the action in showing that person that they are now trusted. (I hope that made sense) However, I also like the fact that Carly had respect for herself and her own beliefs, ***SPOILER***and even though she was friends with Ryan, she would not let that relationship become anything more unless he gave his life to Christ. (We all have to have "deal breakers")

Overall, the story was a good and I loved watching the interaction between Carly and Ryan's family. However, the beginning is a little bit slow.

Stars: 4

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Salyna! I stumbled upon your blog searching for new book suggestions. This is great. I really appreciate the suggestion! Your review has swayed me. I’ll have to check out Together with You.

    I wanted to pass along one my pastor recommended to me. It’s the #1 bestseller on religious fiction, so maybe you’ve already heard of it. But I can’t stop thinking about. It’s a fantastic collection of short stories. It’s called Pieces Like Pottery. I really can’t recommend it enough. I would love to see your review of it at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I always love when people leave comments confirming that I write reviews for a reason, because they do impact you guys! I have been slacking with my reading lately, honestly I have no excuses, but I am going to try to do better! Thank you for the recommendation! It doesn't sound familiar so I'm going to look it up on goodreads! Happy reading! 😃

      Delete
  2. Of course! I appreciate the review. And definitely check it out. I found it on Amazon eBook after my pastor recommended it. I really enjoyed it. Each story was fantastic. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0163NLWDQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1444488421&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=pieces+like+pottery&dpPl=1&dpID=41PNkFSZK2L&ref=plSrch

    ReplyDelete